Thursday, April 1, 2010


It's an annoying thing, that the lesser amount of essays i write, the more confidence i lose at being socially functional. Anyway, i've got a pretty good feeling that it's all in the mind. Lately i've been feeling that annual urge to escape. The cooler weather is turning me various shades of purple, and i'm finding myself too frequently choosing bed over study, but not just purely for the sake of sleep, but for the time it gives me for thoughts and analysis of my current situation.
Turns out that over-complication has been governing my life for the past 4 weeks, and although my university assignments have been incredibly minimal, i have somehow developed a bit of a complex about them, actually i think i'd developed specific complexes for just about every aspect of my life.

One of the things i like to do when lacking in inspiration is drive somewhere, generally wherever i feel best can clear my head and give me a little time to myself. For some odd reason this drive directed me to the quiet beach of Kingston. I walked around the paths surrounding the beach, photographing whatever caught my eye, i found it rather therapeutic, to shoot without an apparent direction or client to satisfy.

I've been shredding up the streets of West Moonah on my skateboard, which is something i've neglected for a while, and i'm using my brain less for worrying and more for makin' shit happen.

So, for any of you who seem to be caught up in the complexities of current life, i've just escaped and found refuge in simplicity and can offer a little advice that may help. Don't make yourself feel bad about reading trashy magazines, embrace advertising with consciousness that acknowledges your own role as a dupe and a victim of deception but doesn't really give a fuck.
There ain't nothing wrong with doing nothing.
Simplicity, you are my new best friend.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes the nice little simplicities in life are precisely the cause of the complexities. Sometimes there is something terribly wrong with doing nothing. And sometimes there is nothing wrong with reading that Brad and Angela don't have such a perfect life after all!

    ReplyDelete